OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
Position Title: Legal Assistant
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all legal matters related to the production, acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content exhibited on all OWN platforms. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisitions, commissions, co-productions and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related, legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
OWN seeks a bright, highly motivated, and client-focused individual to provide legal
administrative and paralegal support for 3-4 executives in a high volume, fast-paced in-house Business & Legal Affairs environment.
- Provide legal support to a collective group of 3-4 executives handling contract negotiation, drafting, transactional, production, litigation and other entertainment business and legal matters
- Generate contracts from standard forms and track contracts at various stages of
- Administer contracts and oversee process of contract execution
Proofread, edit, compare and redline documents and effectively navigate and operate within various computer databases relating to areas of responsibility
- Handle inquiries from internal and external contacts and draft related correspondence
Provide general office support (e.g., maintain and organize files, schedule
meetings, maintain calendars, answer telephones, log and place calls, order
supplies, arrange travel itineraries, prepare expense reports and other invoices for payment)
- Interact with OWN business units, including senior and executive OWN personnel,
as well as external business contacts and other third parties
Collaborate with department managerial and administrative staff in the development of
processes and procedures to increase department productivity
- Work with and maintain confidential information
- Perform other related administrative tasks as requested by supervisor(s)
- Preferred candidate will have a minimum of five years legal assistant/paralegal experience at an entertainment department of a law firm or in the business and legal affairs department of a television production or broadcast company.
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude, strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with internal and external contacts
- Display a great deal of initiative and the ability to work independently under pressure in a
deadline-driven, very detail-oriented environment while maintaining high standards of accuracy, composure and professionalism at all times
- Must have the ability to work with and maintain confidential information
- Flexibility in accepting new and changing responsibilities, as well as strong personal initiative and resourcefulness; taking ownership of and accountability of responsibilities
- Strong analytical skills and a basic financial knowledge
- Must have strong computer skills, including a mastery of Microsoft Office, G-Suite and ability to navigate in web-based database environments
- Ability to identify, prioritize, and manage important administrative issues, multi-task and
effectively prioritize work assignments in addition to handling changing priorities
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
- Must be comfortable with and able to complete projects assigned by manager(s) working off-site
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience a plus
- Paralegal Degree a plus