OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
Position Title: SVP, Communications
The Senior Vice President, Communications is responsible for managing national, trade and local market communications initiatives designed to drive OWN’s business plan objectives and brand awareness. This role will focus on press outreach & strategy for network programming, managing publicists, strengthening internal communications, and preparing executives for press opportunities. This position also handles internal communication, award strategies and submissions. The Senior Vice President will engage with affiliated talent and creatives as well as partnering closely with other internal departments, including research, ad sales, marketing, and business & legal affairs. This position is based in West Hollywood, CA.
- Create strategic publicity campaigns for high-profile programming including scripted, unscripted, specials and movies
- Manage a strong team of publicists and outside pr firms and consultants
- Primary writer and editor of all internal and external communication and presentations for the network
- Prepare and create key messaging for senior executives for panels, speeches and key interviews
- Manage internal Townhalls, Company Conversations & guest speakers. Coordinate learning and development events with HR
- Stay abreast of and anticipate trends and opportunities within the fast-paced and quickly changing cable and streaming landscape
- Cultivate & maintain strong relationships with key journalists and media outlet, including a strong base of multicultural media.
- Build and develop community partnerships to support key initiatives through targeted grassroots events and outreach
- Work within department budget, oversee press website, invoicing and vendor contracts
- Oversee major external events including TCA, Upfront, Essence Festival, Tribeca Film Festival, and other relevant conferences and summits
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
- Minimum 15 years of senior level communications or PR experience including hands-on communications, with increasing levels of responsibility for media relations, crisis communications and people management within a media organization, preferably within the cable, television, or streaming industry
- Experience creating and developing with scripted and unscripted television campaigns
- Outstanding strategic business, interpersonal, project management, and leadership skills
- Strong relationships with media targeting the network’s audience
- Exceptional communication and collaborative skills, with the ability to build cross-functional relationships and translate business objectives into action
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field
- Team player who can execute independently while cultivating an inclusive and cooperative work environment
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States