OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
Position Title: Sr. Product Designer (Contract Position)
As the Sr. Product Designer, you help to shape the design vision and strategy while driving the execution of our customer facing products that engage, delight, and resonate with fans of OWN. You will thrive in a customer focused, customer obsessed environment using research & data to design experiences people love. At OWN, we’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
- Provide hands-on Product Design; establish design direction/concepts and deliverables.
- Demonstrate proven experience with successful multi-platform designs and project delivery.
- Define product vision and user flows that inspire development of the right product experience.
- Lead & Manage large-scale, high-priority apps, connected devices and product experiences.
- Partner to define product requirements process with Business, Product, and Engineering.
- Define, Lead, Manage & Facilitate Design Thinking Practices for your Product Lines/Team.
- Present concepts, strategies, and goals effectively to Mid & Senior Level Executives.
- Work closely with Product, Engineering, Data, Business and Marketing to deliver industry-leading product experiences across OWN’s products, platforms, services, and channels.
- Plan and oversee testing criteria for usability studies, A/B and Multivariate testing of products and platforms as part of the design process.
- Identify gaps and anticipate risks; take actions to address design risks & determine solutions.
- Tracks Design Team progress manages resource allocation and escalates issues and risks.
- Identify/pursue new targets and opportunities that will advance organizational business goals.
- Develop and maintain all Design Language libraries, personas, mockups, usage scenarios, user flows, prototypes, navigational maps and experience documentation.
- Inspire new ideas through expert-level knowledge of competitive and complimentary products
- 5+ years of experience as Sr. Designer, UX Designer or Product Designer within a large-scale consumer facing organization, agency, or multi-platform product company.
- 3+ years’ experience designing multi-platform apps and connected product experiences.
- BA Degree or higher in Product Design, Interactive Design, User Centric Design, HCI or Cognitive Psychology (OR) combined work experience with human factors training.
- Experience designing 10ft, VUI, Connected and Multi-Modal Product Design Systems required.
- Deep knowledge and experience in Mobile, Living Room & Connected Product Environments
- Expertise in Sketch, InVision Tools, Adobe Suite, and rapid prototyping are required.
- Working experience with Principal, Story, and Atomic Design methods are important.
- Knowledge of emerging trends for digital products and cross-platform customer integrations.
- Experience working in Agile and Matrixed organizations.
- Hands on experience with variety of user research techniques including user testing, personas, user tasks and scenarios, internal and external user interviews.
- Education in Interaction Design, HCI, UX Architecture, and/or Product Design required.
- Online portfolio demonstrating broad skills, versatile aesthetic, high-end customer facing experiences, with expertise in design principles, thinking and usability. Please provide a link and any appropriate PDF materials to view your digital samples.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
- Hands on team player that can work easily with multiple stakeholders including Design, Product, Engineering, Data & Research, Project Management, Marketing, Business and Sales.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
- Capable of leading Design Thinking & Design Sprint sessions to ensure that customer centered with clear vision is implemented through Design Thinking Best Practices.
- Proven track record with a variety of successful products delivered across multiple platforms, screens, and ecosystems with experience in multiple brands, productions, and operations.
- Passionate self-starter with high-level of initiative, strong sense of ownership and a disciplined approach to quality and its affect on the intended audience.
- Excellent oral and written skills, and able to present to small or large groups of people including Design, Marketing, Production, Product Teams, and Executive Stakeholders.
- Uncanny drive and passion to deliver the best experience for consumers and proven track record to deliver compelling, innovative, and award-winning user and product experiences.
- High confidence working on complex multi-platform consumer focused product ecosystems.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States