OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
Position Title: Director, Social Media Strategy
The Director of Social Media Strategy is the head of the OWN social team and oversees all day-to-day social strategy and execution of brand marketing initiatives on social platforms for the network. This role requires a unique blend of innovative instincts, digital and social media aptitude, platform and audience expertise, management skills and strategies that drive growth, as well as an eye for performance metrics – all of which impact revenue, brand performance and more. The position, based in Los Angeles, leads a team of talented professionals and reports to the VP, Brand Marketing.
- Provide leadership in content and brand strategy for social across all initiatives and deliverables, across multiple channels to meet and/or exceed metric targets including engagement, follower growth, impressions, reach, traffic, revenue, etc.
- Partner with brand creative team and other stakeholders to define social content, communications and strategies and translate into creative briefs
- Drive strategy, budget and execution of brand marketing initiatives through content storytelling, ensuring a consistent brand message across multiple consumer touch points including Facebook, Instagram (feed, Stories, IGTV), YouTube, TikTok and similar platforms
- Build content calendar and strategy to align with network calendar, sales and partner opportunities and brand initiatives, events, press and activations that require content and social media integration
- Social platform and audience specialist with a technical understanding on how to generate awareness and engagement
- A natural ability to collaborate well with others across the organization and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to be strategic and tactical – be able to zoom in and out, both manage a team and get in the weeds to make it happen when necessary
- Identifying new trends to spark new innovative content development for organic platform growth
- Guide external agencies and vendors involved with producing content, community management, etc.
- Collaborate across the matrix with Production, Development, PR, Scheduling, Digital and other teams to weigh in and provide intelligence from the social ecosystem
- Monitor, measure and analyze the effectiveness of all social channels
- Partner with the Insights team in monitoring and reporting on social media performance
- Manage reporting of results and ongoing communication to executive team and translate social analytics and sentiment into actionable insights for social media specialists to execute
- Develop social/digital sponsorship opportunities alongside Director, Branded Entertainment Partnerships
- Serve as key liaison with Ad Sales Marketing on strategies and offerings for driving revenue on social media for largescale clients
- Lead amplification strategies, identifying new opportunities to drive revenue growth and media value across our social media campaigns
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
- 7+ years’ experience
- Self-starter who is experienced, strategic, creative and passionate about all thing’s social media.