OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
Standards and Practices Manager
OWN is seeking a Manager to support the VP of Standards and Practices, who oversees compliance of OWN’s standards and practices policies for linear programming, digital content, and commercial clearance. The position requires the ability to cover a high volume of scripted and unscripted material under tight deadlines, proven finesse interfacing with a variety of client groups, and an eye and ear sensitized to brand protection. The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of five progressive years of prior standards and practices and/or commercial clearance experience, at either a broadcast or cable network, with a demonstrated ability to liaise with Original Programming, Production, Scheduling and Acquisitions, Deliverables, Digital, Business and Legal Affairs, Ad Sales and Marketing. Commensurate experience in position of equal level of responsibility and of similar scope will be considered. Must be a team player, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, good negotiation skills, and be highly organized and research oriented. Should possess knowledge of OWN’s programming, as well as a wide range of competitive programming. The ideal candidate will be able to manage a high volume of content review under tight deadlines.
- Review rough and final cuts of OWN unscripted programming, acquired theatrical films, and digital content.
- Draft standards notes for scripted programming with network recommendations.
- Assign TV content ratings consistent with TV Parental Guidelines’ rating system.
- Provide back-up standards coverage for VP when needed.
- Review competitive programming, compile research and create reports based on analysis of trends.
- Maintain tracking documents for department.
- Project-oriented work on ad hoc basis, including occasional support on creating slide presentations for VP of Standards and Practices.
- Must be available for coverage of live-to-tape and special event programming as needed, including occasional coverage of tapings on Saturday or Sunday.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 5 years basic cable or network S&P scripted content review, commercial clearance, or commensurate experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of current competitive linear television and digital landscape.
- Working knowledge of TV Parental Ratings system.
- Working knowledge of FCC broadcast regulations and best practices, best practices for digital content, and FTC guidelines for advertising.
- Demonstrated ability to work with highly confidential information with discretion and integrity.
EEO Statement: We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
- Broad base of knowledge of pop culture and current events, as well as demonstrated interest in evolution of standards and practices across all platforms.
- Resourceful, organized, analytical, diplomatic and mature.
- Avid television viewer with industry knowledge a must.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as Google Drive.