The Director, Current Programming will serve as a key member of OWN's Unscripted Programming team, contributing to strategic planning, content direction, channel management and responsible for executing programming strategies through the development and production process.
In this executive role, the Director manages all aspects of original commissioned productions and ongoing series, as well as reviews and steers show treatments, scripts, music, production, show cuts to ensure brand specifications and excellent production standards. The Director will also have a strong partnership with the Development function and will be part of the process of building a series/event from the ground up. This Director will be required to communicate and coordinate with independent producers and production companies outside of OWN, as well with other internal departments, including production management, legal and business affairs, finance, international networks, communications, online, advertising and promotion.
Directs and manages all aspects of the original programming projects, including but not limited to:
- Serve as Current Executive lead on all aspects of production for Network projects as assigned by Head of Unscripted. Supervision of entire creative process – from treatment review to final delivery on original, co-production and reversion projects.
- Supervise editorial management over multiple outside production companies on multiple series/specials simultaneously and in coordination with internal departments to ensure timely and on-budget development, production and delivery of commissions, co-productions, and development projects.
- Acts as Network representative to outside organizations and responsible for maintaining relationships with external vendors and clients.
- As a member of the team, oversee the creative process and production of original programming and programming elements for OWN, including specials, series, interstitials and packaging of branded blocks.
- Employ skills pertaining to the development/refining of editorial content, including but not limited to, reviewing scripts, treatments and other materials for production; may be called upon to write, rewrite, produce as needed.
- Evaluate proposals, producer's work and refine as needed in preparation for (and throughout) production.
- Maintain adherence and accountability for aspects of OWN's editorial, budgetary, and production standards as well contractual requirements for programming. Ensures production quality and adherence to established budgets and schedules.
- Directly responsible for pushing project information to internal Network teams and ensuring that the Network is maximizing the potential of each project in all stages of production.
- Inform and involve key departments on projects throughout all stages of the pipeline to maximize their value to the company.
- Represent OWN at key programming markets, conventions and other functions as designated by the Head of Unscripted.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or an equivalent combination of skills, training, and hands-on experience, Showrunner experience is a plus.
- 4-6 yrs experience at production company or network with hands-on development and production experience, 3 yrs minimum in alternative or unscripted programming and/or 2+ years in the field working in reality/factual production.
- Proven record of demonstrated creativity with an ability to generate new ideas and translate them into high-quality TV programs.
- Strong knowledge of producing community with showrunner relationships.
- An independent thinking and idea-generator who is also a team player.
- Proficiency in TV production economics and management as well as knowledge of all aspects of contemporary production and post-production capabilities.
- Ability to manage the production process from concept to air or to other platforms.
- Demonstrated aptitude to work closely with external producers to represent the Network’s needs.
- Outstanding editorial judgment and creative abilities, strong verbal and written communication skills, and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to identify, analyze and effectively critique content and storytelling.
- Knowledge of brand specific lifestyle programming and popular culture related to television programming for OWN’s demographic.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Negotiation skills.
- Attention to detail, accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to act independently and responsibly.
- Capacity and experience to juggle multiple tasks and television projects in a fast-paced environment simultaneously.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with team members.
- Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional groups.
- Employees will also perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Ability to work closely with related divisions including BALA, production management, press, marketing, ad sales, research, ratings, scheduling, social & digital and others.
- Computer literacy and database aptitude a must, knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel, and Access preferred.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Strong aptitude in Research.