OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
The Senior Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs serves as an integral part of the OWN Business and Legal Affairs department and closely supports the department’s SVP. This role will draft agreements and correspondence related to talent, production, new media and licensing deals for programming, creative, marketing, sales and digital. Additionally, this position will be responsible for guiding third party production companies and creative partners on OWN production legal protocols. The position will report to the SVP, Business and Legal Affairs.
- Extend offers, negotiate, and draft terms for complex, multi-component deals including, but not limited to marketing partnerships, distribution agreements, content acquisitions, scripted and unscripted series deals, pilot-to-series deals, studio network license agreements, talent deals, co-finance and production deals and acquisitions.
- Negotiate and draft sophisticated term sheets and agreements related to marketing, new media, international distribution and rights agreements.
- Manage work product of paralegals responsible for tracking business affairs deal terms, rights clearances, status charts, and other duties related to rights management.
- Provide strategic advice to the SVP on important business and legal affairs initiatives.
- Maintain awareness of applicable regulatory issues and work with outside counsel to provide regular updates on such issues.
- Work collaboratively with support staff and other members of the team to achieve department objectives.
- Handle production legal issues in connection with various series and acquisitions and liaise with third party production companies.
- Handle corporate matters including governance and maintenance of corporate entities, organizational structures, filings and support of the Board of Directors.
- Liaise with Human Resources, Discovery Employment Legal and outside counsel to collaboratively strategize and resolve personnel related matters as needed.
- Manage various insurance policies updates/requirements as well as track litigation matters in collaboration with Discovery and outside counsel as needed.
- Establish strong business acumen with the ability to foster strong working relationships across functional groups including, but not limited to, Public Relations, Marketing, Business Development and Digital Distribution
OWN, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, citizenship, disability, genetic information or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law
- Bachelor's degree and law degree.
- CA Bar membership.
- A minimum of 7 years of legal experience, preferably with a television production company, cable network and/or law firm.
- Experience with corporate law or litigation is a plus.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, with a demonstrated track record of sound business judgment.
- Superior negotiation skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Results oriented, extremely proactive and highly responsive.
- Excellent business acumen.
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize competing interests and effectively manage project timelines.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Strong emotional intelligence (e.g. self-awareness with the ability to adapt to different personalities and provide effective service to all levels of the company).
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications are desirable.