OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
The Human Resources Generalist will provide general support to the HR Team in the areas of recruiting, benefits administration, and HR programs and events. This position will report to the Director of Human Resources, but will work closely with all HR team members as well as Benefits Management at Discovery Communications.
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Recruiting/Hiring/Onboarding: Managing requisition process in collaboration with hiring managers, Director of HR and CFO; sourcing and vetting candidates. Coordinating and communicating employment offers with HR Director. Working with HR Assistant and HRIS Specialist to prepare required paperwork and first-day experience for new-hires. Delivering New-Hire Orientation. Managing requests and tracking for contingent workers (CW’s) and freelancers.
- Employee Exit Process: Facilitating employee and CW departure protocol and conducting exit interviews in coordination with HR Director.
- Benefits Support: Leading benefits orientation and open enrollment communications and events. FMLA, STD/LTD claim intake, processing & tracking in collaboration with Benefits Management and HR Director. Answering employees’ benefits-related questions. Assist with 401k program including communicating enrollment instructions, addressing any plan inquiries, and coordinating education sessions. Processing and reporting for workers' compensation claims.
- HR Programs and Events: Planning and executing Summer Internship Program; employee training sessions, and internal events (e.g. Holiday Party, Wellness Fair, etc.). Participating in OWN Events Committee to support employee engagement activities and initiatives.
- Other HR and administrative projects and duties as assigned.
- BA/BS or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in Human Resources is required; experience in the entertainment industry is preferred.
- Understanding and application of federal and state statues regarding medical leave including FMLA/ CFRA, HIPAA, ADA, Short and Long Term Disability programs.
- Experience with recruitment strategies that encompass diversity and inclusion, legal compliance, and behavioral-based interviewing.
- Experience delivering compelling new hire orientations and overseeing onboarding experience.
- Strong project management and event-planning skills; ability to multi-task.
- Understanding of HRIS and applicant tracking systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with every level of staff and management; excellent follow-up skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement, discretion, and maintain sensitive and/or confidential information.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly adaptable to a fluid and ever-changing environment.
OWN, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, citizenship, disability, genetic information or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.