OWN is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand. We embrace the love of storytelling. Our team has creative instincts with a distinct point of view, which creates and the magnetism of the channel. OWN is a leader in programming and attracts superstar talent to join its primetime lineup, which has built a global community of like-minded viewers who’ve connected on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 75 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
OWN is seeking a highly organized self-starter who is experienced, strategic, creative and passionate about all things social media. The Vice President, Social Media for OWN will develop and execute promotional campaigns across the network’s social media platforms. This role requires a unique blend of innovative instincts, digital and social media aptitude, management skills and strategies that drive revenue. The position, based in Los Angeles, leads a team of talented professionals and reports to the SVP, Communications and Social Media.
- Work collaboratively with internal and agency teams to develop and execute creative and strategic high-impact social media campaigns across the network’s social platforms
- Liaison with outside partners, talent and guests of OWN shows to educate and inform best practices; serve as social expert and point-of-contact for all OWN talent and deliver assets to talent to promote shows and network endeavors
- Collaborative across departments; the VP works closely with the communications team, marketing, programming and digital to drive tune-in and excitement for OWN shows
- Attend, cover and amplify press events on OWN social media platforms
- Lead social listening for OWN initiatives and provide intelligence from the social ecosystem
- Partner with the OWN marketing team, in-house creative teams and media agencies to create effective paid social media campaigns that promote OWN programming, as well as support revenue goals within ad sales and digital business plans.
- Manage reporting of campaign results utilizing deep knowledge of analytics
- Serve as the network lead fostering content development relationships with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube and other primary/key partnerships.
- Collaborate and innovate with Ad Sales & Integrated Marketing on strategies and offerings for driving revenue on social media for largescale clients including OWN’s new online lifestyle community “The Know.”
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8+ years’ professional-level experience in working in the digital/social media space (agency, in-house, emerging tech, etc.)
- Ability to map out promotional strategies and from conception to execution, grounded in consumer insights
- An understanding of social media as a revenue generator
- Ability to inform top management of social activities, results and strategies
- A respect and understanding of social communities, content that resonates and platforms changes that will impact both
- An insatiable curiosity and knowledge about all things social, web and mobile
- The ability to motivate and manage social media team and media agencies, with both day-to-day and big picture strategic direction
- A drive to be innovative within the social media industry, and a keen awareness of best practices in an ever-changing field
- Previous experience managing a large social community with high brand standards a must.
- Working knowledge of website content management systems and analytic platforms
- Comfortable in adjusting strategies and tactics on the fly grounded in data and analytic insights
- Outstanding communication skills that revolve around transparency and respect
- The ability to write concisely and understand the brand voice and perspective
- Ability to manage, lead and mentor a team
- Be flexible and adaptable to respond to fast changes in social and digital space
- Solution oriented
- “Roll up your sleeves” attitude to jump in and assist teams when needed
- Comfortable working nights and weekends and traveling for press events as needed
- Strong presentation skills
OWN LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, citizenship, disability, genetic information or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.